For most of you in Europe, US and Canada the summer vacations will soon be over. We hope all of you had a good and healthy summer. A new IASLC season is starting with many exciting activities ahead. The IASLC membership is growing rapidly. The preparation for the 12th World conference in Seoul, Korea, September 2-6, 2007 is shaping up and several upcoming IASLC workshops/conferences are planned:
- September 25 - 26, 2006 11th IASLC International Workshop Early Invasive Lung Cancer: New Diagnostic Tools & Treatment Strategies Place: Turin, Italy Contact: Elena Baccalaro Email: firstname.lastname@example.org For more information, visit www.congressiefiere.com
- October 12-15, 2006 The 3rd Pan Pacific International Lung Cancer Conference held in conjunction with The 3rd China North and South Lung Cancer Summit Place: Shanghai, China Email: email@example.com Contact: Susanne Blassingille
- October 26-28, 2006 4th IASLC International Chicago Symposium on Malignancies of the Chest and Head & Neck Place: Sheraton Hotel, Chicago, Illinois Email: firstname.lastname@example.org For more information, please visit www.mchnsymposium.com
- November 1-5, 2006 2nd Turkish Lung Cancer Congress Place: Antalya, Turkey Email: email@example.com
- November 8-12, 2006 3rd IASLC/ASCO International Conference: "Molecular Targeted Therapies in Lung Cancer" Place: Taormina, Sicily Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- December 1-3, 2006 2nd Asia-Pacific Lung Cancer Conference Place: Guangzhou, China Email: email@example.com Contact: Dr. Yi-Long Wu
- February 22-24, 2007 IASLC Targeted Therapies for the Treatment of Lung Cancer Place: Santa Monica, CA USA Chairs: Paul A. Bunn, Jr., David Johnson and Roy Herbst For more information, please visit www.thecbce.com
- September 2-6, 2007 The 12th World Conference on Lung Cancer - IASLC Place: Seoul, Korea Contact: Conference Secretariat E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org For more information, please visit www.2007worldlungcancer.org
IASLC Fellowship/Young Investigator Award 2007
Seven IASLC Fellowship/Young Investigator Awards, each $40,000/year for 2 years, will be announced October, 2006. Please check www.iaslc.org.
Deadline for 2007 applications: January 5, 2007.
These Fellowships have been made available through sponsorships from Eli Lilly, AstraZeneca, Sanofi Aventis, GlaxoSmithKline, OSI, Pfizer, EMD Pharmaceuticals and Bristol-Myers Squibb.
The current awardees are: Roman Thomas, US, David Jackman, US, Jill Larsen, Australia, Daniela Basseres, US, J. Engelman, US, Glen Weiss, US, Christopher Lyon, US, Tien Houng, US, Remy Pedeux, France, Elena Levantini, US, Stefano Landi, Italy, Hiromichi Ebi, Japan, Rafal Dziadziuszko, Poland.
2011 World Conference
The Board of Directors will at the upcoming Board meeting in September 2006 decide where the 2011 world conference will take place. The following sites are under consideration: Paris (Dr. T. LeChevalier), Amsterdam (Dr. Pieter Postmus) and Turin (Dr. Giorgio Scagliotti).
New name of Women Against Lung Cancer
National Lung Cancer Partnership (formerly Women Against Lung Cancer) announces the opening of the application period for two award programs:
1. National Lung Cancer Partnership Research Grants for the promotion of understanding sex differences in the molecular, cellular, and environmental underpinnings of lung cancer, as well as differences in response to treatment. Made possible by the support of Genentech, this grant is designed to provide seed money for promising novel research on sex differences in lung cancer for faculty members at any point in their careers. For 2007, one 2-year award of $100,000 will be given.
2. National Lung Cancer Partnership/LUNGevity Foundation Career Development Award for junior clinical and basic investigators involved in lung cancer etiology, prevention, and treatment. The National Lung Cancer Partnership and the LUNGevity Foundation are jointly sponsoring this program to create a critical mass of lung cancer researchers to ensure effective translation of basic and behavioral research discoveries into patient therapies to reduce lung cancer incidence, morbidity and mortality. Applicants will be judged on the merits of their career development plan, research proposal, and research environment, among other factors. For 2007, one 2-year award of $100,000 will be given.
For application eligibility and instructions, please visit the National Lung Cancer Partnership website at http://www.nationallungcancerpartnership.org/page.cfm?l=grantsAwards Application deadline: September 5, 2006. Awards will be made on or before January 1, 2007. www.NationalLungCancerPartnership.org NOTE NEW ORGANIZATION NAME, WEBSITE, AND EMAIL ADDRESS
US National Cancer Institute (NCI) – I2 Program
The US NCI has initiated a program called “The National Cancer Institute’s Lung Cancer Integration and Implementation (I2) Program”.
Dr. John Niederhuber, the Acting Director of NCI, have said that he will be “creating a base of scientific cohesiveness within the Institute around lung cancer, and will host regular meetings with extramural lung cancer researchers and advocates about the progress in this area and the future agenda”. The central focus of this program will be to support research into early detection and treatment. The NCI had previously promised $41,750 million over five years for the I2 program.
Journal of Thoracic Oncology (JTO)
The online version will be open for IASLC members and nonmembers until December 2006. Thereafter only IASLC members will have access. The JTO will make an application of PUBMED inclusion by the end of 2006. If accepted all past publications will be retrospectively listed in PUBMED. JTO is currently listed in AMADEO citation system. Twelve issues of JTO are planned for 2007.
Alex A. Adjei, MD, PhD, Professor of Oncology, Mayo Clinic has per October 1st, 2006 accepted a position as VP of Clinical Research and Chair, Department of Medicine, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY.
Karen Kelly, MD, Professor of Medical Oncology, University of Colorado accepted a position as Deputy Director of the University of Kansas Cancer Center, effective October 1, 2006.
IASLC Welcome 38 New Members from June 1 – August 24, 2006
Monica Campos MD
Qing Hua Zhou MD
Jelena Stanić MD
Bente Holm MD, PhD
Susan Harden BMBCh, DM
Hans K. Pilegaard MD
Jane Brandman B. Pharm, MS
David Felix Heigener MD
Pablo J. Cagnoni MD
Haihong Cai MSN
Wen-I Chang PhD, MBA
Stefano Landi PhD
Gary M. Clark PhD
Maureen Conlan MD
Susan M. Fox
Martin Bard MD, PhD
Brooke Hayes MBA
Luis Herrera MD
Dorothée De Fraiture
Julie Horan DVM
Edward Kim MD
Mark Krasna MD
Ana Blasco Cordellat MD
Ronald C. McGarry MD, PhD
Manuel Cobo MD
William Pao MD, PhD
Ramon De las Penas MD
Anne Marie Robertson MBA
Juan José Fibla Alfara MD
Jack W. Singer MD
Joan Gil Carbonell MD
Elizabeth (Jeanne) Stemland BSN, MBA
Ana Maria Gómez Martinez MD
Yvonne Vargas MD, MPH
Carmen Guillen MD
Pratan Vathesatogkit MD
Become a Member
Join the only international association solely dedicated to lung cancer research and treatment.
WCLC Virtual Library
February 21 - 24 2018Santa Monica, California
March 22 - 24 2018Madrid, Spain
April 11 - 14 2018Geneva, Switzerland